Some helpful tips to get the most out of baking and decorating cupcakes.
- Bring all your ingredients to room temperature before you start mixing your cupcake batter.
- Don’t let the cake mixture sit around after you have made it.
- Accurately measure your ingredients for cupcake success.
- Ensure that you cupcake cases are sitting perfectly in the muffin tin.
- Do not get any batter around the top of the cupcake cases.
- Check oven is up to temperature before you put your cupcakes in.
- Cupcakes should be completely cold before decorating.
- Undecorated cupcakes can be frozen for up to a month.
- Do not mix metric and imperial measurements.
- Fill cupcake cases with an icecream scoop to get equal quantitiies of cake mixture in each cupcake case.
Cake sinks in the middle
- Oven door was opened too soon
- Cake was under baked
- Ingredients haven’t been measured properly
Cupcake has cracked, domed top
- Oven temperature was too hot.
- Cupcakes were too near the top of the oven
- Insufficient liquid was used
- Too much raising agent was used
Cupcake has a dense texture
- The mixture curdled when adding the eggs
- Too much liquid was used
- The mixture was over folded
- Too much raising agent used
- Raising agent past its ‘use by date’